May have to turn back

I woke up this morning at about 6am to loud ice crunching outside. It is now 8am, and the cute little lily-pad ice chunks are turning into less-manageable sheets. If the ice continues like this for too much longer we may have to turn our ship around and head back to Punta Arenas. There we will wait for a storm to blow out some of the ice before attempting another cross.

Another option is that if we can press our way to Palmer Station, the Gould and her crew may have to wait around the station longer before heading back to South America. Fingers crossed the ice clears up a bit and we can make it. Our project is time sensitive so we need to make it to Palmer ASAP!